(419) 353-4200

Groth & Associates employs attorneys who are dedicated to helping resolve family law matters. We have significant experience handling a wide range of family law situations, from the joys of adoption to the stress of a divorce. Some common questions are listed below. If your question is not answered, please contact Groth & Associates.

How do I obtain custody of my child?

Either one of the separated parents may petition a court in for custody of a child. If the parties cannot agree about who should have custody, the court will grant custody either solely to one of the parents or joint custody to both of the parents. The standard for granting custody in almost every jurisdiction is the "best interest of the child."

How is custody defined and interpreted?

Custody is divided into the categories of sole, or joint. Sole (full) custody confers all rights and responsibilities of child rearing to that parent; the other parent legally has no standing. Joint custody (unlike "sole") implies some form of sharing. Legal custody is the right of parents to make decisions for the child concerning things like schooling, medical care, religious upbringing, etc.

What is child support?

Child support is defined by law as the ongoing monetary expenditures and payments necessary to cover a child’s living and medical expenses. Both parents have a legal duty to provide financial support for their children. The court may order either or both parents to make ongoing payments to cover a child’s living and medical expenses.

How do I get child support?

You must have a court order to receive child support. A court order for child support establishes the monetary support order for your child(ren) as well as other orders for health insurance and child care. Even if the non-custodial parent is willing to sign a voluntary agreement to pay child support, it must be approved by a court.